Happy Friday to everyone!! It’s time for some Friday Flue. You know, the fluff, the rubbish, the stuff that doesn’t really matter. Today we’re going to talk about things that irritate us. Let’s get it all off of our chests so we can enjoy the weekend, stress free!
Now, according to Reddit, there are the eight things people find themselves getting more irritated by as they age. Here are the top eight:
1. Noise. Especially at restaurants.
3. How lazy today’s teenagers seem to be compared to us, especially considering how EASY they have it.
4. People spouting uneducated, inflammatory political rhetoric.
5. Older people who refuse to use basic technology.
6. The way people gather in a mass swarm to get on a plane . . . then take forever getting off a plane.
7. A false sense of entitlement.
8. Chronic lateness . . . especially without an apology.
Allow me to add my own list.
1. Liars – Especially when it comes to things that can easily be checked with a simple Google search or a little Harriet the Spy know-how. There’s just no need for it. If you need to boost your self-esteem by shredding the trust others have in you, you’re going to die alone. Honest Abe and Humble Harry always win in my book.
2. Rudeness – Reddit nailed this one. We are called to love. It doesn’t matter if the person is our family, friend, enemy or a complete stranger. You know the phrase, “A person who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter is still a rude person.” Don’t be that person.
3. Lazy People – Reddit had it half right. I’ve seen plenty of lazy adults, but trust me, I don’t discriminate when it comes to people who sit around and do nothing. There is no entitlement in this life. Nothing you have done makes you deserving of anything. We are all sinners saved by grace so the next time you start thinking, “I deserve…” or “Someone else will…” bite your tongue and set yourself in motion.
4. Bad Drivers – I’m a recovering road-rage-aholic. And to be honest, it’s very hard to go through my 12-step program when people fail to heed the laws of the road and act selfishly. If it’s my right-of-way you just sit tight.
5. Lack of Social Media Skills – Forgive me on this one. I hate that this irritates me, but being in my 20s, I grew up with social media. From AOL to MySpace, Facebook to Twitter, and beyond, I have seen the evolution of online presence. And call me a snob, but I can’t stand it when someone “likes” their own status.
6. Non-Observers – This has nothing to do with holidays. It has to do with people who disregard social awareness. This encompasses a lot of situations, but what it boils down to is focusing only on yourself and what’s in front of you. Take a second to look around you. Put yourself in someone else’s shoes.
7. Opportunists – These are generally lazy people who love to latch onto other people’s success. They have to be the center of attention and they are very good at using pronouns, especially when speaking of other people’s accomplishments. They are also the people who tend to be insecure and rely on others for validation.
8. Messy People – How old were we when we learned to clean up after ourselves? If you move something, move it back. If you share an office, keep it clean. If you borrow something, return it. If you (or your kids) make a huge mess at a restaurant, at least try to clean it up. In the radio world, we call this “leaving a clean board.”
These are my top eight things that have come to irritate me more and more as I have gotten older. I’ll admit, I have seen myself fall victim to these very things. And yes, it irritates me when I commit them just as much as when someone else does. We’re all human, but I believe my irritants can be remedied with mere effort.
What’s on your list?